So, I officially start school on Monday, but I have been there the past two days to get my classes set up and get my books ready. My school has 2,000 kids in it and 75% of them are boarders, the other 25% (including me) just go to day school. The school campus is huge! There are two cafeterias, all set up with yummy Ghanaian food. There are certain buildings for certain subjects. At this school, there are different ‘majors’ that you would test into. There are math, science, language, literature, and the vocational arts (which include home economics and visual arts). I heard that the science and math subjects are extremely boring, so I decided to do something more hands on and something that relates more to the culture. Therefore, I chose home economics. They put me in form 2, which has the equivalence of a sophomore In the USA. When they showed me around, they showed me the model home, where they teach students how to clean the house and make the beds and what not. And then they showed me the sewing room, where you learn the science of textures and then sew. Then they showed me the food and nutrition room. Here they explain the different methods of cooking and I will also learn how to cook Ghanaian meals! I will be focusing on food and nutrition. I am really excited! I will also be taking a science class, PE class, math class, home cleaning class, and some abbreviated classes that I don’t understand. When I was introduced to my class today, I was swarmed by 32 school girls grabbing me and wanting me to sit next to them! They have all told me their names 50 times, but I feel bad that I can’t remember them! They all ask me “I’m your best friend, right?” haha, and I say “Of course!!”. They also asked me if I have been to East High (the high school in High School Musical…)!! I told them that the school exists but the school is not real, it is just a movie. They also can’t wait to see me in my school uniform; they think it will be hilarious to see a white girl in their uniform. I am the only white person there. Everyone is so nice! The staff and students! They all talk to me in Twi, and I have no idea what they are saying. I’m excited to be a full time student again on Monday! Their semester started 3 weeks ago, so I have a lot to learn!!
Also, I am so happy I know French. All the neighboring countries speak French, so a lot of the merchants only speak French. So, I have actually gotten a lot of practice! And all of the shampoos and stuff I buy in the legit grocery stores are in French. So I know what I am buying. And when I speak French, it is exciting and respectful. So, why not!