Volta Region Mountains

Volta Region Mountains

Monday, May 3, 2010

Funerals are awesome!

For the past week it has been planned that I would be going to a funeral over this past weekend. Whenever someone asked me what I was doing I said “I’m going to a funeral!!!!” in a really excited tone with a huge smile on my face haha. I was excited to go because 1.I get to have a funeral Kaba and Slit made and 2.Funerals here are supposed to be like a party! I went to a funeral with Amy and her host dad to the funeral of Amy’s grandma. When we get there, we sit outside of the church where everyone else is sitting; you can only sit inside if you are immediate relatives. But then we got introduced to the daughter of the deceased woman and she let me go inside to take pictures!! You’re also not allowed to take pictures at funerals, unless you are the professional photographer. The church “service” consisted of many songs and a few speeches. Then they carried the coffin to the grave yard! Then everyone gathered at this one place where they played music and everything! This one old guy kept hitting on Amy and me haha. He even tried to sneak a kiss, SHAME ON HIM. HAHA but it was so funny, it made my day. The guy was probably 100 years old. Then everyone wanted me to dance, and I refused quite a number of times, then I gave in! I started dancing like the Ewe’s which looks like a chicken dance or something, and everyone got up and started cheering me on and stuff, it was really funny! But it was such a good time! Then we got party favors when we left!! It was a long day, but very exciting! Funerals are a huge deal in Ghana, everyone attends them. They last the entire weekend and are filled with services and dancing and eating. Like I mentioned before, Ghana is not a credit/loan country, but people take out loans to throw funerals. At most funerals, thousands of people can show up.
Also a side note about food in Ghana. Ghanaian food is relatively very good! And I know when I’m starting to love it when I choose yam chips over French fries. But the only problem I have with it is the serving size. I can eat rice, but not a whole crock pot of it!! It’s very difficult to force yourself to eat more than your stomach can hold. But ya, I just wanted to reflect on that!

2 comments:

  1. Just when we think things are quieting down over there, we hear about still another unusual eventful weekend!!! What experiences you are having. Keep the info coming. Love, G-Ma and G-Pa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look hot in that funeral dress.... :)

    ReplyDelete